Saturday, June 7, 2008

My Kindle

I may or may not have written about my Kindle... perhaps in one of my failed attempts at blogging in the past. This is a wonderful addition to my travel, as well as my at-home life. Presently I have the following available books on the Kindle:

  1. How to Use the Amazon Kindle (Steven Windwalker, 2008)
  2. Beyond the Literary-Industrial Complex (Steven Windwalker, 2008)
  3. You: Staying Young: The Owner's Manual for Extending Your Warranty (Mehmet Oz, 2007)
  4. The Holy Bible King James Version
  5. The Devil's Dictionary (Ambrose Bierce,1911)
  6. Go Green, Live Rich: 50 Simple Ways to Save the Earth and Get Rich Trying (David Bach, 2008)
  7. First Footsteps in East Africa (Sir Richard S. Burton, 1880's?)
  8. Delizia! (John Dickie, 2000)
  9. Freakonomics (Stephen Levitt, 2006)
  10. The Meditations (Marcus Aurelius)
  11. Travels in the Interior Districts of Africa (Mungo Park, written in 1790's)
  12. Bloodchild (Octavia Butler)
  13. Practice Makes Perfect: Italian Vocabulary (Daneila Gobetti, 2007)
  14. Italian Popular Tales (Thomas Frederick Crane)
  15. CIA World Factbook - Complete Edition. Detailed information and maps for over 270 countries (Mobile Reference, 2007)

In addition I have subscribed to these periodicals:

  1. Analog Science Fiction
  2. Asimov's Science Fiction
  3. Reader's Digest

And one blog... Tetrapod Zoology.

These reading materials would obviously not easily fit in any carry-on bag, or briefcase, much less a purse. And yet I can read any of them anytime I want, just by pulling it out of my purse. The Kindle is convenient, easy to read, and conserves paper. It gives me access to the reading materials I prefer. I think it fits very well into A Normal Life!

What do you think? Is the Kindle worth buying? Would you use it?

2 comments:

Cherrye Moore said...

I dont really know what a kindle is, although I have heard of it. I am not sure I would use one ... Is it like reading on your computer? Now I am intrigued.

AmyEmilia said...

Cherrye, I think it really is better than reading on a computer - you don't have be attached to anything, it fits in your purse - and it does have some primitive internet access too. Not all books are easy to read on it - I think I'll stick to things like casual fiction or books that I only want to read once. (Or, like the Mungo Park book - a book that isn't readily available in the bookstore.) There are other electronic readers out there - Sony makes one - but I like the support that Amazon provides.

AddThis

Bookmark and Share